Kershaw Lucha 515TR
- March 2, 2022
Butterfly Knife Trainers: 5150TR Kershaw Lucha Trainer
In our last blog installment for our series on butterfly knives, we mentioned having a trainer in order to safely practice, and bring your skills to the next level.
In this episode, we will focus on balisong trainers, and in particular, what I consider the best one available on the market today, the Kershaw Lucha trainer, model #5150TR.
As you can see from the information below, this is a well-constructed drone, and it perfectly matches all of the attributes of the live blade Kershaw Lucha 5150.
Here are the specs and information on it, straight from the manufacturer;
- Blade Length 4.6 in. (11.7 cm)
- Blade Material Sandvik 14C28N
- Blade Finish/Coating Stonewashed finish
- Blade Thickness 0.156 in. (4 mm)
- Closed Length 5.8 in. (15 cm)
- Handle Material Stainless steel
- Handle Finish/Coating Bead-blasted finish
- Handle Thickness 0.43 in. (11 mm)
- Overall Length 10.25 in. (26 cm)
- Weight 6 oz. (170 g)
FEATURES + DETAILS:
- Use Everyday
- Type Manual
- Style Butterfly Knife
- Designer Kershaw Originals
- Blade Style Drop Point
- Blade Edge Plain
- Opening Action Manual dual KVT ball bearings
- Lock Type Latch
- Pocketclip None
- Handle Color Silver
- Hardware Black-oxide steel pivots, black anodized aluminum tube spacer, black-oxide steel screws
- Made in USA Yes
- Country of Origin USA: Design, Prototype, Quality Control, Manufacture
- Warranty Limited Lifetime Warranty
And this is important for several reasons. First, in the world of butterfly knives, it is important to maintain as much safety as you can, especially while practicing advanced tricks and aerials, and this is easier when the training drone you are using is the same weight, balance, length, and the same swing as the live blade you would be using.
Second, if you are just beginning and learning to use a butterfly knife, it is better to have a dull trainer than to tape over the edge or try and dull a live blade.
And, if you use a balisong in a martial/combative manner, a matching trainer is of paramount importance to maintain realistic work, and safety of all parties participating, as it is with any kind of knife combative.
One of the best things about the Lucha trainer is that it is on the KVT bearing system, just like the live blade version, thus providing the same exact action while swinging it. And, just like the live blade, the latch has the same positive stop, so it will not contact the blade.
Not only do we sell the 5150TR trainer, but we also keep stock of trainers for Bear & Sons butterfly knives, and a few general trainers for balisongs in stock.
Leave a Reply